Dog Bite Statistics
Pennsylvania Dog Bite Attorneys
Here are some eye-opening statistics on dog bite injuries:
- Every year, one out of every 50 Americans gets bitten by a dog.
- A vast majority of dog bite incidences never gets reported to authorities.
- Most dog bites are treated with over-the-counter bandages and antibiotics.
- Just two vicious breeds of dogs — Rottweilers and Pit-Bulls (and Rottweiler-Pit-Bull mixes) account for well over half of all dog bites, including most fatal injuries.
- According to recent surveys, on average, there are between 20 and 30 dog bite fatalities every year in the U.S. Two-thirds of these involve dogs off-leash on private property. A fifth of fatalities involve dogs off-leash, off-property.
- Only 15% of fatalities occur with dogs on leash.
- Breed temperament matters. A recent California State University study found that a Doberman pinscher bite causes serious injury once in every 300 incidences, a German Shepherd bite causes injury once in about 150 incidences, and a Pit Bull bite causes an injury in one out of just 16 incidences.
- Male dogs are six times more likely to bite than are females (according to a recent study in Denver, Colorado).
- Intact animals are nearly three times more likely to bite than neutered animals are.
- Dog bites account for 5,000-6,000 hospitalizations per year for an average stay of nearly four days and emergency costs topping $100 million.
- A recent American Medical Association study suggested that dog bites are one of the top causes of injuries to minors — occurring more frequently than all accidents on playgrounds.
- Common biting dogs include Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Mastiffs, German Shepherds, Chow Chows, and Doberman Pinschers.
- If a wild or diseased dog bites you, experts advise that the dog be observed for at least two weeks to determine whether or not it has the rabies virus.
Dog bite legal cases can often get quite complicated, particularly with respect to insurance and liability issues. Look to the top-caliber Pennsylvania dog attack lawyers of Cherry Injury Law., to provide experienced representation for your matter. Browse our website to learn more about our associates, or dial 215-660-4813 today to schedule a free consultation. Cherry Injury Law., takes personal injury cases on contingency, meaning that clients only pay legal fees if and when they win.